1. Entertainment
Dave White

Who's going to the Hall?

By December 11, 2012

Into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame come April 18: Rush, Heart, Albert King, Randy Newman, Donna Summer, Public Enemy.

Rush, being progressive rockers, might be the biggest surprise, even after they captured the fan vote which debuted this year. This was the first time they had been nominated, even though they have been eligible for induction since 1998.

This was the second nomination for Heart (their first was last year.) They have been eligible since 2001.

The rest of the 2013 Rock Hall class includes singer-songwriter Randy Newman, disco diva Donna Summer, blues guitarist and singer Albert King, and radical rappers Public Enemy. Producers Quincy Jones and Lou Adler will receive Ahmet Ertegun Lifetime Achievement awards (named for the founder of Atlantic Records) for their non-performing contributions to rock.

Among the nominees not inducted: Joan Jett and the Blackhearts (now two-time nominees) Deep Purple, and Procol Harum (both groups having been nominated for the first time this year.)

Induction ceremonies are April 18, to be recorded for broadcast on HBO on May 18.

Comments

December 14, 2012 at 10:09 am
(1) Rob says:

The Rock and Roll HoF is a joke.

December 14, 2012 at 10:46 am
(2) Murray says:

How Deep Purple (and Ritchie Blackmore, in his own right, as a guitarist) are not in the (so called) Rock and Roll Hall of Fame shows just how irrelevant the self proclaimed “Hall of Fame” has become as a reflection of true rock greatness.

December 14, 2012 at 3:06 pm
(3) Thierry says:

Heart in and Deep Purple not? What a joke…

December 14, 2012 at 7:14 pm
(4) Cliff says:

Finally!! After ALL these wasted years, my favorite rock band, Rush, FINALLY get into the Hall of Fame!! Congrats to Alex, Neil & Geddy!

December 18, 2012 at 1:20 pm
(5) Otto Greenleaf says:

Does Cooperstown induct people in the baseball hall of fame who didn’t do anything for baseball? Same should go for the rock and roll hall of fame.

December 21, 2012 at 9:44 am
(6) Jeff says:

Are you kidding me? Again? Another year without Jethro Tull, Yes, and The Doobies. What the hell is going on? I cannot belive the Public Enemy would go into the R R Hall of Fame before Jethro Tull or Yes. I would put Wishbone Ash into the Hall before any of these people. Actually, Heart might belong there, yeah, I guess they deserve it. But as far as the rest of them, forget about it. I have to agree with one of the posters, the Hall is a JOKE!!!!

December 21, 2012 at 9:49 am
(7) Jeff says:

I didn’t even see Rush there. I got so aggravated when I saw the names that I just went off on it. Deep Purple, there’s yet another group that belongs. You know, if you stop and think about it, there are quite a few groups and performers that belong in and are still out. Quite a few. When I was about 19 yrs old I saw a group perfom with my pal Bill who turned me on to them. They went by the name of The Amazing Blondell. A Rock/Minstrell music type group. It was rather cool but heck, they belong in the Hall before some of these other people. I wwill never understand the system.

December 21, 2012 at 10:41 am
(8) Zenguy1213 says:

I’ve been listening to Procol Harum’s back catalog and appreciating it more and more. They certainly deserve to be inducted. With “Whiter Shade of Pale”, they were the first band to incorporate classical music into rock which started the whole progressive rock scene.

December 21, 2012 at 10:54 am
(9) Chuck says:

I think Jeff nailed it on the head….Jethro Tull is a no brainer (something the HOF is lacking) and Wishbone Ash for sure

December 21, 2012 at 11:40 am

ELO
Rainbow
Iron Maiden
Pat Benatar
Cheap Trick
Montrose
+ others I’m sure I’m forgetting…

December 21, 2012 at 4:12 pm
(11) jack worley says:

Best group not in HOF = Chicago.

December 22, 2012 at 1:06 am
(12) Patricia Metal Goddess Kellogg says:

We in Cleveland, Birthplace of Rock and Roll, have been disgusted with the “Bored” in NYC decisions for who gets in. They need to induct 50 per year now. This is the list and petition we started for that reason:

You might not agree with the band list but when they get in another 50 go on! We only had one go off our list this year and that was Rush.

The fact that Deep Purple was voted in at #2 with the Rock Halls fan vote shows the fans just how much the Rock Hall doesn’t care what we think!

Even a conservative TV commentator had words for the Rock Hall after the inductions this year. He doesn’t believe the Rock Hall does enough. It’s what we’ve been saying for YEARS!!